Newsline | October 19, 2022
Learn How to Successfully Transition Within Your Organization
Want to be successful as you transition into or out of your role within your organization? Come as a group to find out how to effectively transition your organization.
Transitioning Organizations will be on Tuesday, October 25 at 4pm in Room 3512, Memorial Union.
No registration is required and free snacks will be provided!
Have questions? Email email@example.com.
Apply for Event Funding Today!
Does your organization have events this spring? Do you need additional funding support? Submit a proposal to the Event Funding Board! Applications are reviewed monthly. Reminder, to be fully considered, events must occur at least 5 weeks after the submission deadline.
Next submission deadline: Monday, October 31, 2022
Submit your event proposal today!
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the Annual We Lead Conference!
We Lead gives Iowa State students the opportunity to hone their leadership skills, engage in interactive discussions and sessions, network with other leaders from campus and the community, and reflect on their own identities, leadership qualities, and strengths in their respective roles at Iowa State and beyond.
The theme for the conference is "Leadership Beyond" and will focus on the many ways that leadership can show up in our lives, especially for those with marginalized gender identities. The event will feature a variety of sessions that will focus specifically on “Beyond the Binary,” “Beyond #GirlBoss,” and “Beyond Graduation,” with a keynote address from Roberta Blevins, as seen in Amazon’s DocuSeries "LuLaRich" and her podcast, “Life After MLM.”
We Lead will take place on Saturday, October 29 from 10am-5pm in the Memorial Union.
Registration for the event is free for all ISU students and includes a complimentary lunch and a post-conference mentorship social.
More information HERE.
Register to attend HERE.
Questions? Email email@example.com
Resources and Opportunities for Organizations and Officers
STARS Applications Are Now Open!
The STARS application is now open and closes on October 30.
STARS give campus and residence hall tours and can have a huge impact on the prospective students’ college decisions.
- Position: Student Admissions Representatives (STARS) are volunteer students that assist campus visits by providing campus and residence hall tours, representing Iowa State at Experience Iowa State and other campus visit programs, and sharing their student experience and love of ISU!
- Why should you be a STAR? STARS can have a huge impact on the prospective students’ college decision. Check out this evaluation from a guest: “We were very impressed with the caliber of students at each activity and presentation. The students were personable and knowledgeable. They all love their school and it was easy to see that from each of them. They, in large part, sell the school.”
- Position Description: STARS is a great volunteer opportunity, a way to share Cyclone pride, and a chance to gain valuable life skills! STARS give daily campus tours and residence hall tours to prospective students and their families during the school year. Along with daily visits, STARS also help with Experience Iowa State visit days and group visits. STARS typically commit around 5-10 hours per month to help with visits, but the position has a lot of flexibility because we work around your schedule!
- Application details:
o The application can be found online at admissions.iastate.edu/forms/leaders.php
o The application is open until Sunday, October 30
- Questions? If students have questions, they can contact the STARS graduate advisor Erica Gorden at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUB and ISU AfterDark Now Accepting Exec Applications!
Student Union Board (SUB) and ISU AfterDark are seeking students to join their executive teams! These organizations would be the perfect fit for students who are interested in planning and facilitating events, work well as a team, and love to take on and learn new tasks.
Applications for ISU AfterDark must be submitted by October 21. Applications can be found HERE.
Applications for SUB must be submitted by October 27. Additional information and application can be found HERE.
Inviting Sustainability Clubs to Table at Campus Sustainability Month Celebration
ISU’s Office of Sustainability is excited to invite sustainability clubs to table at the 2022 Campus Sustainability Month Celebration, taking place October 25, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., on the South Library Lawn. This event is a chance to come together with other campus and community organizations to honor our collective sustainability commitment. The theme of this year’s event, “The Urgency is NOW”, reminds students, faculty, and staff that now is the time to take sustainable actions to ensure a healthy future for all.
Register your organization to table at our celebration!! This event offers an opportunity for any student organization whose mission, goals, practices, and events support sustainability to showcase their impressive commitment, gain exposure for their organization’s efforts, market events, and recruit new members and/or volunteers. The Live Green! team will provide display tables, event marketing and event prizes - earned by attendees through visiting tabling organizations and completing a prize card.
We look forward to showcasing the outstanding commitment to sustainability and a sustainable future by our student organizations!! Register online, via Google Form, for your organization to take part.
Email Event Coordinators, Haylie Moore email@example.com or Haley Wegener firstname.lastname@example.org, for any questions and more information.
Get Your Organization Involved with Green Dot Action Month
October is Green Dot Action Month. The mission of Green Dot Action Month is to energize and mobilize our campus community to do as many individual and group proactive Green Dots as possible. A proactive Green Dot is anything you do to send the message that power based personal violence is not tolerated at ISU and we are all dedicated to doing our part to prevent Red Dots. We would love your group, organization, team, department, or chapter to be actively involved in Green Dot Action Month.
- Sign your organization up for a Green Dot Training HERE.
- Attend Games on the Green on Thursday, October 20 from 12-2pm. Snacks and lawn games are provided.
- Choose a date for your group to wear green and take a group photo to amplify on social media and share what proactive Green Dot you are doing during the month!
To find out more about Green Dot Action Month and the Green Dot program, you can go HERE!
Event Authorization Reminders
As a reminder, if you are planning an event that you want to promote to non-club members or the general public, you will need to complete the University Event Authorization process. You can find more information on Event Authorization HERE and in the University Event Authorization training available in the Student Organization Database.
Preserve Your Organization's History with University Archives
Student organizations play an important role in college life and have a lasting impact on the University. Because of the nature of being a student sees you leave after graduating, much of the history of an organization can be lost or forgotten over time. The Iowa State University Archives invites student organizations to partner with us to help preserve your organization’s history, including especially its creation, development, priorities, and activities.
We value the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion. All organizations are welcome and part of the ISU legacy. We particularly welcome organizations of minoritized groups and activists who have often been left out, erased, or otherwise lack a sense of belonging in archives.
For more information on how to participate, please contact Greg Bailey, University Archivist, at email@example.com.