Online Leadership Resources
MU 2 You Leadership Podcast Playlist
Calling all leaders! This podcast playlist curated by Memorial Union Student Engagement is here to keep you motivated, challenge your methods, and to help you achieve your goals!
Leadership and Personality Assessments
- What’s Your Leadership Style?
- Take the University of Southern California’s Interactive Leadership Style Assessment and discover your personal leadership style.
- 16 Personalities: Free Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
- Take this personality test and get a “freakishly accurate” description of who you are and why you do things the way you do.
- Enneagram Tests
- Take these two online Enneagram tests to help you determine which personality type you are.
- Emotional Intelligence Quiz
- This quiz from the Institute for Health and Human Potential provides an accurate assessment of your level of Emotional Intelligence and gives recommendations on how you can manage your emotions and connect more skillfully with others.
- Harvard’s Implicit Association Test
- This test is designed to reveal attitudes or assumptions that you make on a daily basis. Learn something about yourself that you may not have known!
- Leadership Blindspot Survey
- This online questionnaire from Princeton Management Consulting Group will help you discover your own leadership vulnerabilities and learn how to overcome your weaknesses.
- Performing Under Pressure Quiz
- This quiz from the Institute for Health and Human Potential will show you how you are doing in regards to performing under pressure.
- How Good Are Your Leadership Skills?
- Take this quiz from MindTools to identify where you already lead effectively and explore where your skills need further development.
- True Colors Test
- Print and take this personality inventory to help you better understand yourself and appreciate individual differences.
- Leadership Assessment Questionnaire by Optimal Thinking
- Take this leadership skills assessment to rate your leadership skills, quickly pinpoint your strengths and weaknesses, and understand the difference between where you are and where you need to be.
TED Talks and Virtual Discussions
Watch free live TED talks every single day, with TED Connects!
TED Circles is an open platform of small groups that engage in conversations about ideas while you watch and discuss a TED Talk virtually as a group. Check it out!
10 Leadership TED Talks to Watch:
- Simon Sinek, How great leaders inspire action
- Brené Brown, The power of vulnerability
- Drew Dudley, Everyday leadership
- Julian Treasure, How to speak so that people want to listen
- Elif Shafak, The revolutionary power of diverse thought
- Susan Cain, The power of introverts
- Simon Sinek, Why good leaders make you feel safe
- Sheryl Sandberg, Why we have too few women leaders
- Derek Sivers, How to start a movement
- Roselinde Torres, What it takes to be a great leader
Watch Past TEDxIowaStateUniversity Talks:
Want to reminisce and watch TEDx talks that were given right here at Iowa State? You can read about our speakers and watch their talks from TEDxIowaStateUniversity 2019 HERE.
Free Online Courses for Leaders
- What Great Leaders Do, Alison.com
- Featuring a Professor of Management Science at Standford University, this course teaches you about the most appropriate ways to deal with team disagreements, the hallmarks of great leaders, the habits of those who fail to lead, and more!
- MIT’s Organizational Leadership and Change Course
- This course from MIT allows you to reflect on prior leadership experiences and then apply lessons learned to further develop your leadership capabilities.
- Yale’s The Science of Well-Being Course
- Take Yale’s most popular course for free and engage in a series of challenges designed to increase your own happiness and build more productive habits.
- People Management Training & Leadership Skills Course
- This course from MasterClassManagement.com will teach you management skills, leadership styles, and the fundamentals of a mini-MBA business management certification program.
- OpenLearn’s Leadership & Management Online Courses
- Choose from several different courses from OpenLearn including topics such as effective communication, leadership and followership, working in diverse teams, and many more!
- Effective Leadership by HP LIFE
- Discover different leadership approaches and understand when and how to use them to be a more effective leader.
Leadership Videos and Virtual Workshops
- Ohio University’s Keys to Networking Success Virtual Workshop
- Ohio University’s Understanding Emotional Intelligence Virtual Workshop
- Virtual Book Club with Simon Sinek: Start With Why
- Lead Change Group’s Leadership Webinars
- Kid President Asks “What Makes an Awesome Leader?”
- MU 2 You: Transition from Student to Professional
Online Leadership Journals, Websites, and Blogs
- Center for Creative Leadership: Online Leadership Learning
- Advancing Women in Leadership Journal
- National Clearinghouse for Leadership Programs Website
- The General Leadership Blog
- Lead Change Group
- Experience to Lead Blog
- Mark Murphy’s Leadership IQ Blog
Other Student Engagement and Memorial Union Resources
Virtual Resources for Student Organizations Page
Come here to find specific resources for leading your student organization virtually!
Leadership and Service Resources
Come here to see resources about creating new student organizations, managing and improving your current organization, and finding leadership and service opportunities.
Student Organization Resources
Come here to check out other resources that Student Engagement offers!